Student FAQs

You must check that information on your My UNC Charlotte account.  Your assigned advisor(s) will be listed in Niner Advisor.  You can also follow the steps below.  If no name is listed, then contact your major department and request an advisor.  If you have not yet declared a major, contact the University Advising Center.

  1. Log in to My UNC Charlotte

  2. Click on Starfish”

  3. Advisors are listed under "My Success Network"

The specific office location of your advisor or main office for your major.  If you are undeclared or transitioning between majors, visit the University Advising Center at 2200 Colvard.

Connect is an academic early alert and advising connect software system.  It allows instructors to send systematic notifications to students regarding their academic progress in their courses referred to at-risk alerts.  Academic advisors are able to access this information to better connect with students, and use the system for maintaining advising notes.  Students use the online system to conveniently make appointments with their academic advisor and student support services such as tutoring.  You may access connect at connect.uncc.edu.  If you have additional questions regarding the use of Connect, please submit your inquiries to lbowen11@uncc.edu

Connect replaced Starfish on June 27, 2016.  In addition to replacing the functions of an online centralized advising system for scheduling student appointments and making notations related to student advising, it provides more robust features that include the early alert features for instructors in providing earlier feedback on student performance in their courses and for advisors to have access to view these alerts for intervention strategies.


An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.  This status is noted on the student's permanent academic record with the semester of the evaluation and continues until the next evaluation opportunity.

An undergraduate student who meets the cumulative requirements for good academic standing but performs below a 2.0 GPA in the semester of the evaluation or performs below the two-thirds cumulative ratio of earned to attempted hours is given a “good academic standing warning.”   This indicates potential academic problems and is communicated to the student and to the student’s advisor and major department(s).  Students on "good academic standing warning" do not meet the financial aid requirements for satisfactory academic progress.  Good academic standing warnings do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record, and the transcript notation will reflect "good academic standing."

You will not earn credit for that course and will have a “W” on your transcript.  Beginning Fall 2014, only 16 credits of “W” are allowed for all undergraduate students (see UNC Charlotte Academic Policy: Withdrawals and FAQs about the new policy).  See the University Academic Calendar for deadlines. You should meet with an advisor before withdrawing from a course.

First begin by exploring the Undergraduate Catalog and your major department's advising website.  Then ask remaining questions of your academic advisor(s).

You should see your assigned advisor or whomever the department or College suggests, regardless of whether the person is a full-time advisor or a faculty member.  All are prepared to assist and provide you with appropriate referrals, yet their availability and hours will vary.

You must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours for any bachelor’s degree.  Some academic programs require more hours; therefore, you must check with your major/minor department(s).

This will depend on what type of hold is on your record.  Some are for outstanding fees, others are to inform you that advising is required before you can register for courses.  First, check the type of hold(s) you have by using Banner Self-Service, and then contact the department to which it is related.

Complete a "Change of Major/Minor" form after meeting with your advisor. These forms are available in all advising centers on campus. Please keep in mind that every department will have their own process for changing your major. 

Pre-health Track Fundamentals

  • Choosing majors, minors, and degree options (BA vs BS)
  • Core courses, recommended courses
  • Prerequisites for NC programs (when applicable)
  • Admissions tests:  when to take and essential courses needed
  • GPAs:  most important GPAs for admission; competitive levels of GPA
  • Timeline planning and options
  • Extracurricular activities: types, priorities
  • Cautions (withdrawals, repeating courses, science courses at community college, online courses, etc)
  • Student Clubs

For more information, see Niner Engage:

  • Allied Health Club:  for all pre-health professions
  • Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED): pre-health honor society
  • American Student Medical Association (AMSA):  pre-med
  • EyeCU Pre-Optometry Club
  • Kinesiology Student Organization (KSO):  mainly pre-PT, pre-OT, pre-PA, pre-chiropractic
  • Minority Association of Pre-medical Students (MAPS): pre-med
  • Pre-Dental Club
  • Pre-Occupational Therapy Club:  pre-OT
  • Pre-Pharmacy Student Association (PPSA)
  • Pre-Physician Assistant Association
  • Pre-Veterinary Club

Summer activities for pre-health students are essential.  At the minimum, students should shadow and volunteer in their healthcare field.  Other options include:

Certifications:  students should be cautioned that simply obtaining a certification is almost meaningless to a professional school; using the certificate in volunteer or employment situations is what matters.  The 3 most common certifications are:

Certified Nurse Aide, Level 1

EMT-Basic:  may be very difficult to obtain employment as an EMT prior to graduation.  Students should research ambulance company requirements before deciding to complete a certification course.  

Phlebotomy:  most programs are full-time in fall or spring; not easy to find summer certification courses

Summer Programs:

Some students may be interested in formal summer programs.  Applications usually open in fall and close between Jan 15-March 15.  There are 4 main categories of programs:

Academic Enrichment:  These programs are very popular and most are designed to increase opportunities for populations underrepresented in healthcare.  The programs are intense; students usually take not-for-credit courses designed to strengthen science knowledge and academic skills, and also receive mentoring, team-building activities, and some clinical exposure.  Programs typically target students by academic status (freshman/sophomore programs or junior/senior/postbacc programs).  Many pay a stipend and provide room and board.  Some will cover travel expenses.

Clinical Exposure:  This type of program is not widely available.  Many are competitive to enter.  Programs vary in types of ‘exposure’, from shadowing to paid internships.

Research:  These are highly desirable programs, especially for pre-meds.  They are usually full-time, 8-10 week programs, and typically very competitive to enter.  Some prior research experience is very helpful, and students need to have strong transcripts.  Most pay a stipend.

Volunteer Programs:  formal summer volunteer programs range from short-term to summer-long in length.  Examples are camp counselors at healthcare camps and community outreach programs.


Common Core Curriculum for the 7 science-based tracks  (requirements can vary between schools)

                2 semesters English (UWRT 1103 or 1104 alone will meet this requirement at some professional schools)

                2 semesters General Chemistry w/labs  (CHEM 1251 + 1252)

                2 semesters Organic Chemistry w/labs  (CHEM 2131 + 2132)

                1 semester Biochemistry (CHEM 4165; for pre-PA and pre-Optometry, may use CHEM 3090)

                2 semesters Physics w/labs (PHYS 1101 + 1102 OR PHYS 2101 + 2102)

                2 semesters General Biology w/labs (BIOL 2120 + 2130 + 2140)

                1 semester Statistics (STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222)

In addition to the courses above, prerequisites vary by profession and by individual school and include:

Dentistry (DDS, DMD)

  • For UNC SoD:  pick one additional anatomy/physiology option:    Animal Physiology w/ lab (BIOL 3273)

                                                                                                                             Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (BIOL 4293)

                                                                                                                               Human Anat & Phys 1+2 w/labs (BIOL 2273/2274 or KNES 2168/2169)

  • 1 semester of Microbiology w/lab (BIOL 4250):  less frequently required
  • 1 semester of Physiology w/lab (Animal Physiology or Human Anat & Phys 1+2):  less frequently required

Medicine (MD, DO)

  • Cell Biology:  less frequently required but highly recommended
  • 1-2 semesters of Social/Behavioral Science (PSYC 1101, SOCY 1101): less frequently required

Physician Assistant (PA)

  • 2 semesters Human Anatomy & Physiology with labs  (BIOL 2273/2274 accepted by all programs;  KNES                     2168/2169 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester Microbiology with lab (BIOL 4250 accepted by all programs; BIOL 2259 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester General Psychology (PSYC 1101)
  • 1 semester Medical Terminology (KNES 2299)
  • 1 semester Genetics (BIOL 3166):  less frequently required

     *  Chemistry requirements are highly variable.  Biochemistry less frequently required.  Organic chemistry 2 seldom required.

     *  Physics very rarely required.

     *  English seldom required.

Physical Therapy (DPT)

  • 2 semesters Human Anatomy & Physiology with labs  (BIOL 2273/2274 accepted by all programs;  KNES                 2168/2169 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester General Psychology (PSYC 1101)
  • 1 semester upper-level biology (lab sometimes required) OR Exercise Physiology (lab sometimes required) (KNES                                                                                                                                                                                                        3280)
  • 1 semester Abnormal Psychology or Developmental Psychology:  less frequently required
  • For UNC DPT, add 1 semester Exercise Physiology (KNES 3280)

     *  Organic chemistry seldom required.  Biochemistry not required.

     *  Many programs accept survey-level general biology (BIOL 1110/1115)

     *  English seldom required.

Pharmacy (PharmD)

  • 1 semester Calculus (MATH 1241 accepted by all programs; MATH 1120 accepted by many programs)
  • 2 semesters Human Anatomy & Physiology with labs  (BIOL 2273/2274 accepted by all programs;  KNES                 2168/2169 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester Microbiology with lab (BIOL 4250 accepted by all programs; BIOL 2259 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester Economics:  Microeconomics (ECON 2102) recommended and accepted by all programs;                 Macroeconomics (ECON 2101) accepted by most programs)(some programs will accept any ECON class)
  • 1 semester Communications:  Public Speaking (COMM 1101) or Interpersonal Communications (COMM 2107).   Some programs only accept one of the above.
  • 1 semester General Psychology (PSYC 1101)

   *  Biochemistry not required for most programs.

Optometry (OD)

  • 1 semester Microbiology with lab (BIOL 4250 accepted by all programs; BIOL 2259 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester Calculus (MATH 1241 accepted by all programs; MATH 1120 accepted by most programs)
  • 2 semesters Human Anatomy & Physiology with labs: recommended by most programs, sometimes required  
  • 1 semester General Psychology (PSYC 1101)
  • 2 semesters social/behavioral sciences often required

  *  Organic chemistry 2 seldom required.

Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD)

  • 1 semester Genetics (BIOL 3166)
  • 1 semester Microbiology w/lab (BIOL 4250)
  • 1 semester Communications (Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communications)
  • 1 semester Animal Nutrition (take online)
  • 1 semester upper-level Physiology (BIOL 3273) less frequently required
  • 2 semesters humanities/social sciences

 *  Biochemistry 2 (CHEM 4166) sometimes required.


Occupational Therapy (OTM, OTD)

This is a social/behavioral science-based track, not a natural science-based track; does not follow the common core curriculum.

  • 2 semesters Human Anatomy & Physiology with labs  (BIOL 2273/2274 accepted by all programs;  KNES 2168/2169 accepted by most programs)
  • 1 semester Developmental Psychology or Lifespan Development (must cover birth to death:  PSYC 2120 + PSYC 2121 + PSYC 2124)(some programs do not accept Lifespan Development)
  • 1 semester Abnormal Psychology (PSYC 2151)
  • 1 semester Medical Terminology (KNES 2299)
  • 1 semester Ethics/Reasoning (recommend Healthcare Ethics, PHIL 3230)
  • 1 semester Sociology or Anthropology (SOCY 1101 or ANTH 1101)(SOCY 1101 not always accepted; ANTH 1101      not always accepted)
  • 1 semester Physics with lab (PHYS 1101) occasionally required

MCAT (Medical College Admission Test):  admissions test for allopathic and osteopathic medical  school and podiatry school.

   Essential:   General Biology 1+2  (BIOL 2120 + 2130)

               General Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 1251 + 1252)

               Organic Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 2131 + 2132)

               Biochemistry 1  (CHEM 4165)

               Physics 1+2  (PHYS 1101 + 1102  OR 2101 + 2102)

               Statistics  (STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222)

    Strongly Recommended:    Cell Biology (BIOL 3111)

                        General Psychology  (PSYC 1101)

    Recommended:            Animal Physiology (BIOL 3272)

                            Genetics (BIOL 3166)

                        Introduction to Sociology (SOCY 1101)

DAT (Dental Admission Test):  

    Essential:   General Biology 1+2  (BIOL 2120 + 2130)

               General Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 1251 + 1252)

               Organic Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 2131 + 2132)

               Statistics  (STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222)

    Recommended:   Cell Biology (BIOL 3111)

                 Animal Physiology  (BIOL 3272)

                 Genetics (BIOL 3166)

PCAT  (Pharmacy College Admission Test):

    Essential:    General Biology 1+2  (BIOL 2120 + 2130 OR 1110/1115; 2120/2130 preferred)

                Microbiology (BIOL 2259 or 4250)

                Human A&P 1+2  (BIOL 2273 + 2274  OR KNES 2168 + 2169)

                General Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 1251 + 1252)

                Organic Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 2131 + 2132)

                Statistics  (STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222)

                College Algebra  (MATH 1100)

                PreCalculus  (MATH 1103)

                Calculus  (MATH 1120 or 1241; 1241 preferred)

    Strongly Recommended:  Biochemistry (CHEM 4165  OR 3090)

OAT  (Optometry Admission Test):

    Essential:   General Biology 1+2  (BIOL 2120 + 2130)

               General Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 1251 + 1252)

               Organic Chemistry 1+2  (CHEM 2131 + 2132)

               Physics 1 + 2  (PHYS 1101 + 1102  OR 2101 + 2102)

               Statistics  (STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222)

    Recommended:   Cell Biology (BIOL 3111)

                 Animal Physiology  (BIOL 3273)

                 Genetics (BIOL 3166)

GRE  General  (Graduate Record Exam):  admissions test for PA, PT, OT, Veterinary, and other professional schools.  Subtests include Quantitative Reasoning (basic math, algebra, geometry, probability), Verbal Reasoning, and Analytical Writing.  There is no science material on the exam.

    Essential:   College Algebra (MATH 1100)

               Statistics (STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222)

The student should complete these important first steps:

1.  Sign up for the Pre-Health Listserv:  the listserv is an essential method of communication from the Pre-Health Advising office to students on a wide variety of topics.  Sign-up only takes a few seconds.

           Listserv Sign-up Tool

2.  Complete an orientation to their pre-health track:  the orientation covers everything the student needs to know to get started on their pre-health track, such as choosing majors/minors, required courses, timeline planning and options, extracurricular activities, GPAs, and more.  There are 2 formats for the most common orientations, live and online.  Students can choose the format they prefer.

  • Online Canvas orientation modules are available for the following tracks:

            Pre-Dental                                           Pre- Pharmacy

            Pre-Medicine                                      Pre- Physical Therapy

            Pre-Occupational Therapy                  Pre-Physician Assistant

            Pre-Optometry                                    Pre-Veterinary Medicine

The link for students to self-enroll in the Canvas Pre-Health website is https://uncc.instructure.com/enroll/H9PCRX

  • Live orientations:  an open group orientation will be given once for each of the above pre-health tracks early in fall semester.  Details on date and location will be sent to the PreHealth Listserv during the first week of classes. 

What if the student is interested in a healthcare career not listed above?  How do they receive their orientation?

Please refer the student to the Pre-Health Advising Office for assistance.  An office appointment will be scheduled for an orientation.

The online pre-health track orientation modules in Canvas provide students with guidance on this choice.  The guiding principles are:

  • Majors-level prerequisite courses are always accepted by professional schools.  They are viewed as more rigorous and therefore more predictive of a student’s academic ability than non-majors level courses.  They are also usually stronger choices for admissions test preparation.
  • Each individual professional school makes their own policy about whether or not non-majors level courses are acceptable for prerequisites.  Non-majors courses are not always accepted.
  • Pre-med, pre-dental, and pre-vet students must take majors-level prerequisites.

The courses most often impacted by this decision are:

Fundamentals of Microbiology (BIOL 2259) vs Microbiology (BIOL 4250)

Principles of Biology (BIOL 1110/1115) vs General Biology (BIOL 2120/2130)

Calculus (MATH 1120) vs Calculus 1 (MATH 1241)

General Advice:   When the option exists, majors-level courses are preferred.  Students who want to take a non-majors prerequisite course should be certain that their targeted professional schools will accept it.

Each healthcare profession has a professional association and an association of schools, and they are typically much more reliable and up-to-date resources than .com websites.  The professional association has good information on the nature of the profession, options within the profession, and other resources.  The association of schools will have a program directory, searchable database, or other resource with information and links to each member school.  

Students with questions about specific schools should consult the school’s website, or contact the school’s admissions office by email, phone, or website contact form.  Most questions about prerequisites for NC schools are answered in the online Canvas pre-health orientation modules.

          Profession           Professional Association          Association of Schools








Human Medicine


Allopathic Medicine:  AMA

Osteopathic Medicine:  AOA

Allopathic Schools:  AAMC

Osteopathic Schools:  AACOM

Occupational Therapy









Physical Therapy



Physician Assistant






Veterinary Medicine






“Timeline planning” refers to the process of identifying when the student will be applying to professional school and planning to have certain prerequisite courses and extracurricular activities completed by that time.

The following principles apply for most all healthcare professions:

  • Application to professional school is made in the calendar year prior to matriculation.  For example, a student must apply to dental school in 2022 for eligibility to matriculate in 2023.  Ideally, applications are submitted in summer.
  • The student should plan to have all or most all of the prerequisite courses completed by the application summer.
  • The admissions test will be taken in spring or summer of the application year.  The student should plan to complete all courses needed for their admissions test prior to taking the test.  
  • The student should plan to have a competitive volume of relevant extracurriculars (shadowing, healthcare volunteering, ± research, etc) by the time they apply.

The online pre-health track orientation modules in Canvas provide guidelines on timeline planning; most students should be able to plan their own timelines without assistance.  

However, students with more than 1 major, certain combinations of majors/minors, or majors with a pre-set junior/senior curriculum may have difficulty incorporating their pre-health classes into their major curriculum.  Strategies for these students can include using summer semesters, taking courses after graduation, or extending graduation by a semester or two.

There is no definition of “top tier” schools; most often, the student is basing their opinion on US News & World Report’s school rankings and overlooking limitations of the rankings, what really makes a great school, and a myriad of other factors that may or may not make the school a good fit for the student (or vice versa).  

Schools in this category typically want to see the following:

  • Ability to successfully manage rigorous courses and rigorous course loads:  students should typically take more than 15 credit hours each semester.  In freshman year, at least 3 courses each semester should be “challenging” (= science, math, or upper-level courses in the major/minor).  After freshman year, typically at least 4 courses per semester should be “challenging”.
  • Recommend calculus-based physics instead of algebra-based physics for “top tier” medical and dental schools (even though calc-based is not required).
  • The student should plan to participate in undergraduate research, either on- or off-campus.

Common Questions

Reasons for repeating courses can vary.  

  • Mandatory Repeat:  all professional schools set a minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.  Usually, this is a C, but some schools do require a B or higher grade.  Most repeated courses will fall in this category.  

Professional schools will expect the student to make a better grade (A or B) in the repeat.  The worst outcome is when the student makes the same (or lower) grade on the repeat.

For most all professional schools, there is no grade forgiveness in application GPA calculations.  This is a common source of confusion for our students; they believe that because UNCC offers grade replacement, the professional schools will, too.  This is rarely true.  All grades visible on the student’s transcripts will go in the GPA calculations when they apply to professional school.  Professional schools generate their own GPA calculations; university/college-calculated GPAs are never used.  

Elective Repeat:  common advice is that if a student has a C in a prerequisite course, it should be repeated for a better grade.  This is not always true.  Sometimes the best strategy is to perform better in the “downstream” courses in the course sequence.  For example, if a student makes a C in General Biology 2, there are opportunities in upper-level biology courses to make better grades.  Other factors may influence this decision; suggest referral to Pre-Health Advising

All professional schools have policies regarding acceptability of online prerequisite courses, and the policies vary school-by-school.  The main issue with online courses is that there is no guarantee of who is actually taking the student’s exams. 

Online non-science prerequisites are usually accepted, but online science prereq courses can be problematic.  Policies fall into one of these categories:

  • Online prerequisites are fully accepted
  • Online prerequisites are never accepted
  • Online lectures are accepted but online labs are not accepted
  • Online prerequisites are accepted on a case-by-case basis (uncommon)

Policies are usually clearly stated on each school’s website.  An email or phone call to the admissions office can also quickly determine the current policy.  Students should be certain of the policies at the schools they’re targeting before signing-up for an online prerequisite course.

Because most students do not know all of the schools they’ll eventually apply to, the best advice is to avoid online science prerequisites.

Students may hear that professional schools don’t like to see prerequisites taken in summer.  All professional schools accept summer semester courses, but a small number have concerns that summer courses may be “watered down”-  the syllabus will be shortened or the material will be covered superficially- and that grades may be artificially elevated as a result.

Generally, this concern is overblown, especially for summer courses taken at 4-year institutions.  Non-science prerequisites are fine.  Summer science prerequisites are also okay, but students should be encouraged to keep the total number low (preferably, less than half of the student’s science prerequisites).

Usually, this is okay.  The student should be prepared to explain why they made the choice to take the course at an institution other than UNC Charlotte, if asked during an interview.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  After enrolling in a 4-year institution, it is generally frowned upon for students to take science prerequisites at a community college.  A general perception among many professional schools is that community college grades are falsely inflated; the student runs the risk of being perceived as “ducking” a hard course at the 4-year school for an easier ‘A’ at the community college.  

Professional schools have varying tolerances for community college prerequisites; some professional schools will not accept science prereqs from community college or limit the number of prereqs taken at community college.  

Students who have already taken half or more than half of their science prerequisites at community college should typically be discouraged from taking more prereqs at community college.

Students who have already taken a large number of science/math courses at community college should usually be discouraged from taking more science/math courses at community college.

Non-science prerequisites are usually safe to take at a community college.

Exceptions:  please contact PreHealth Advising with any questions:

  • Legitimate reasons:  Students who have a legitimate reason for taking the course(s) at community college, such as financial limitations or courses that have filled at UNC Charlotte, may have more leeway to take prereqs at community college.
  • Strong students:  students with strong, consistent transcripts may have more leeway to take a small number of prereqs at community college.

Course withdrawals can be problematic or benign.  The impact of course withdrawals will be different for individual students and depends on several variables.  

  • Science vs non-science course:   withdrawing from a non-science course is usually okay.  Withdrawing from a science course, especially while remaining enrolled in all other semester courses, will create the initial impression that the student was failing the course when they withdrew.  This can be problematic, especially if this situation happens more than once.
  • Reason for withdrawal:  withdrawals that are for legitimate reasons, such as a change of major, are acceptable and will not create a problem for the student’s application to professional school.
  • Strength of transcript:  strong, consistent students can better afford a withdrawal than weak or inconsistent students
  • Number of withdrawals:  multiple withdrawals on a transcript, especially in the same course, can create a problem.
  • WE:  professional schools usually take a lenient view for WE situations, but the situation must be handled tactfully when the student applies.  Suggest referring the student to Pre-Health Advising.

General advice:  if the student believes that a C or better outcome is achievable, they should remain in the class.  If a D or worse is the likely outcome, they should withdraw from the class.

Getting accepted into professional school, or not getting accepted, is never about 1 grade or even 1 semester.  The big picture is most important- overall performance, trends, patterns, etc.  A single low grade on an otherwise strong transcript will likely not affect the student’s chances, especially if other science grades are strong.  

Depending on the profession and individual schools within the profession, tolerance for one or more low grades does vary.  The reason for the grade(s) may also play a role.

Other factors can help the student compensate for a low grade:

  • Perform better on “downstream” courses: many science prerequisites are part of a course sequence.  Making better grades in the remaining courses in the sequence, especially if they are upper-level courses, can help the situation.
  • Admissions tests:  most admissions tests have sections that test exclusively on science content (medical, dental, pharmacy, optometry).  A strong showing in those sections will also provide some compensation for grades.  However, many students overestimate the amount of compensation, believing that a good admissions test almost nullifies the effect of a low science GPA.  This is definitely not the case.

The admissions test for PT, OT, PA, veterinary, and a few other healthcare professions is the GRE.  Most students do not realize that science is not tested on the GRE, therefore the GRE cannot compensate for a low science GPA

Registration and Courses

Holds in the registration system, sometimes referred to as "flags," restrict you from registering for classes. You may have a hold on your account for a variety of reasons. Academic holds are placed by a program, department, or college if, for example, you are required to see an advisor or need departmental approval to register for a course. Financial holds are placed if you have an outstanding fee that must be paid. You can check for registration holds using Banner Self-Service.

Faculty are asked to report midterm grades for undergraduate students earning a "D" or "F" and graduate students earning a "C" or "U." Subsequently, the Office of the Registrar sends an email to students with a link to My UNC Charlotte asking them to check reported midterm grades. Be sure not to rely solely on this process, as there may be reason a faculty member is unable to submit grades. Learn about your academic progress and status by speaking with your faculty members early in the semester.

Students may receive credit for a course one time only, unless the course description specifies that it “may be repeated for credit.”  However, students can repeat a course to improve their GPA under two different sets of conditions.  In the first case, within the limits specified in the next section, students may replace a grade.  This process is called “With Grade Replacement.”  In the second case, a student may repeat a course with the new grade averaging in with all others for this same course.  This is specified in the second section below as “Without Grade Replacement.”

With Grade Replacement

Undergraduate students may replace up to two (2) courses (maximum of 8 credit hours) for grade replacement.  Both grades will be reflected on the transcript.  However, the higher of the two grades will be used in calculation of the GPA.  This policy applies to courses first taken in Fall 2007 and thereafter. [Note: Some courses in the College of Health and Human Services may not allow grade replacement.]  All courses for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F may be assigned are eligible for grade replacement under this policy.  The course to be replaced and the repeat course must have their grades assigned by UNC Charlotte.

Students must submit a completed “Grade Replacement” online form through Banner Self-Service by the last day to Add/Drop a course with no record in the semester or summer session in which the course is to be repeated.  A repeated course may not be selected retroactively to use this grade replacement policy.  In courses for which the final grade assigned was a D or F, the student may submit the “Grade Replacement” online form requiring no further approval, providing it is within the course and hour limits specified in this policy. In courses for which the final grade assigned was a C or above, the student must submit the online form that will be routed electronically to obtain approval of the department chair and the dean of the college of the student’s program or major, and remain within the two-course, eight-hour limitations of this policy. Once a student has filed a “Grade Replacement” form for a course that choice cannot be revoked due to withdrawing from the course or from the University. (Medical or special circumstances may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.) The original course grade will be the grade of record for the course and not a W. Any such withdrawal still consumes one of the two course substitutions permitted under this policy. Students enrolled in special topics courses for a grade replacement must enroll in the same topic for which they originally received the grade to be replaced. A grade received owing to an admitted or adjudicated academic dishonesty violation shall not be replaced if the course is repeated. This exception is not subject to appeal or academic petition.

Without Grade Replacement

In all courses which are not identified as being repeatable for additional credits, a student who has received a grade of C, H, P, or above in a course may repeat that course only with prior approval of the student’s advisor, department chair, and dean. Students seek approval by completing an “Academic Petition” form found on the Office of the Registrar's website or via Banner Self Service.  An undergraduate student who received a D, F, or U in a course may repeat a course without seeking outside approval.  All grades for repeated courses will be shown on the student’s official transcript and be used in the calculation of the grade point average.  For prerequisite purposes, the most recent grade will be used whether or not it is the highest.

Final Exam schedules are published each semester. Students having three examinations in one day will be allowed to reschedule the middle examination by obtaining a memorandum from the Office of the Registrar to take to faculty members for verification of exam conflicts. (Note: Upon agreement of the student and another instructor, a different exam may be rescheduled.)  Refer to the Final Examinations Policy for more details.

A course grade assigned in a manner consistent with University policy can be changed only by the instructor. Procedures for addressing concerns about a grade can be found under the Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades.

The Add/Drop period runs through the sixth business day of the Fall and Spring semesters (the second business day for the first and second Summer sessions). 

During the Add/Drop Period, students can:

  • Register for courses.

  • Drop a course(s) without record (and remain enrolled in other courses).

  • Drop all courses without record.

  • Change the grade type to Audit or Pass/No Credit (refer to Auditing a Course and Pass/No Credit Option sections).

  • Elect to retake a course with Grade Replacement (refer to Repeating Courses section).

After the Add/Drop Period students can withdraw from one or more courses in accordance with the Withdrawals policy.

During an academic session, from advance registration in the previous semester to final exams, you assume academic and financial responsibility for the courses in which you enroll. You must register successfully by the designated date in order to receive credit for the course in which you are enrolled, and you are relieved of these responsibilities only by formally terminating enrollment by dropping or withdrawing from those courses. For a schedule of deadlines concerning registration please consult the Academic Calendar; for information on how to register, please consult the Office of the Registrar's Questions on Registration.

Special Circumstances

controlled, at least in the eyes of the professional school admissions committees.  Examples include overcommitment to extracurricular activities or jobs, partying, substance abuse, low motivation, poor study habits, breaking up a relationship, etc.  The impact on a student’s chances of admission to professional school depends on the type of factor, duration and magnitude of the low/inconsistent grades, whether or not the student gets the factor under control and shows an appropriate ‘recovery phase’ on the transcript, and how the student handles the explanation during the application process.  Because of the variables involved, there is no one-size-fits-all prescription for repositioning the student as a competitive applicant.  Some students may not have time to become competitive before graduation and will need postbaccalaureate coursework.

Self-Supporting Students:  students who work 25+ hours/week to self-support often lack study time and therefore experience compromised grades.  While theoretically under a student’s control, it is often not realistic or possible for students to quit working and live on loans.  Admissions committees do understand this situation and will view it differently from the situations above.  However, the student must still show strong aptitude for science/math and consistency, even though an admissions committee may tolerate slightly lower GPAs.  And, the student must handle the explanation tactfully in the application process.

Refer students as needed to Pre-Health Advising for further guidance.

Students may ask if their activities from high school or middle school can count toward their pre-health track.  Professional schools are not interested in elementary or middle school activities and most discourage including high school activities on the application.  However, in some circumstances, significant high school activities may be desirable to include on the application.  Examples include Eagle Scout or a summer spent working in a veterinary clinic.  

Students with further questions should contact with Pre-Health Advising.

Misdemeanor/Felony Convictions:  Professional schools will not admit students who have committed certain types of crimes or crimes that are likely to prevent the student from holding a license to practice.  All applications to professional school ask specific questions about criminal conviction history.  Extensive criminal background checks are performed prior to matriculation or prior to the start of clinical rotations, depending on the type of professional school.

Traffic Violations:   Simple traffic violations are not an issue and do not have to be reported on the application to professional school.  

Underage Drinking:  One violation is often tolerated, depending on how the student handles the explanation.  More than one violation, or a violation in combination with a DUI or other substance violation, typically signals a substance problem and is of great concern to an admissions committee.

Campus Conduct Violations:  Professional school applications ask a question about whether the student has ever been disciplined for academic performance or student conduct violations.  Even if the student has performed the necessary remedy, they must still report it on the application.  The impact on their chances of admission depends on the nature of the infraction and how they handle it during the application process.

Suggest referring students to Pre-Health Advising if they want further discussion of their situation.

It’s great to be recognized for academic success, but joining an honors society for the sole purpose of impressing a professional school is misguided.  Joining just to list the honors society on the application has very little value; schools tend to dislike “resume builders”.  Plus, many applicants to professional school list honors societies on the application, thus it is not a distinguishing hallmark of the student.  The professional school can see from the student’s transcript whether they are outstanding; honors society membership is not necessary to make that judgment.  Finally, it costs money to join.  It would not be fair to give extra application points to students who can afford to belong to honors societies, and professional schools understand that not every student has funds for this type of expenditure.

Some advice for the student:

  • Research the honors society; be sure it’s legit.  Suggest checking to see if there is a registered chapter with Student Orgs on campus.
  • Encourage the student to actually participate if they join.

Academic Standing

An undergraduate student who meets the cumulative requirements for good academic standing but performs below a 2.0 GPA in the semester of the evaluation or performs below the two-thirds cumulative ratio of earned to attempted hours is given a “good academic standing warning.”  This indicates potential academic problems and is communicated to the student and to the student’s advisor and major department(s).  Students on "good academic standing warning" do not meet the financial aid requirements for satisfactory academic progress.  Good academic standing warnings do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record, and the transcript notation will reflect "good academic standing."

Newly admitted undergraduate students begin in good academic standing. Each student's academic standing is evaluated at the end of every Fall or Spring semester for which the student was enrolled, based on hours attempted at UNC Charlotte only. To remain in good academic standing, undergraduate students must maintain: (1) a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 and (2) a cumulative ratio of earned to attempted credit hours of at least two-thirds.  However, some departments and Colleges will have additional policies regarding satisfactory progression which require a higher GPA and/or the completion of specific courses in order to remain enrolled in that program. For specifics, see your College or major department in the Undergraduate Catalog.  Failure to earn certain credit hours and/or grade point averages can cause a student to lose financial aid eligibility.  Therefore, students receiving or requesting Financial Aid should familiarize themselves with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

An undergraduate student on academic probation whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the next evaluation is suspended from the University, unless the student’s GPA for that semester is at least 2.3, in which case the student remains on probation instead.  Academic suspension is noted on the student’s permanent academic record.

An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.  This status is noted on the student's permanent academic record with the semester of the evaluation, and continues until the next evaluation opportunity.

Codes of Conduct