Complete a "Change of Major/Minor" form after meeting with your advisor. These forms are available in all advising centers on campus. Please keep in mind that every department will have their own process for changing your major. 

This will depend on what type of hold is on your record.  Some are for outstanding fees, others are to inform you that advising is required before you can register for courses.  First, check the type of hold(s) you have by using Banner Self-Service, and then contact the department to which it is related.

You must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours for any bachelor’s degree.  Some academic programs require more hours; therefore, you must check with your major/minor department(s).

You should see your assigned advisor or whomever the department or College suggests, regardless of whether the person is a full-time advisor or a faculty member.  All are prepared to assist and provide you with appropriate referrals, yet their availability and hours will vary.

First begin by exploring the Undergraduate Catalog and your major department's advising website.  Then ask remaining questions of your academic advisor(s).

You will not earn credit for that course and will have a “W” on your transcript.  Beginning Fall 2014, only 16 credits of “W” are allowed for all undergraduate students (see UNC Charlotte Academic Policy: Withdrawals and FAQs about the new policy).  See the University Academic Calendar for deadlines. You should meet with an advisor before withdrawing from a course.

An undergraduate student who meets the cumulative requirements for good academic standing but performs below a 2.0 GPA in the semester of the evaluation or performs below the two-thirds cumulative ratio of earned to attempted hours is given a “good academic standing warning.”   This indicates potential academic problems and is communicated to the student and to the student’s advisor and major department(s).  Students on "good academic standing warning" do not meet the financial aid requirements for satisfactory academic progress.  Good academic standing warnings do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record, and the transcript notation will reflect "good academic standing."

An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.  This status is noted on the student's permanent academic record with the semester of the evaluation and continues until the next evaluation opportunity.

Connect is an academic early alert and advising connect software system.  It allows instructors to send systematic notifications to students regarding their academic progress in their courses referred to at-risk alerts.  Academic advisors are able to access this information to better connect with students, and use the system for maintaining advising notes.  Students use the online system to conveniently make appointments with their academic advisor and student support services such as tutoring.  You may access connect at connect.uncc.edu.  If you have additional questions regarding the use of Connect, please submit your inquiries to lbowen11@uncc.edu

Connect replaced Starfish on June 27, 2016.  In addition to replacing the functions of an online centralized advising system for scheduling student appointments and making notations related to student advising, it provides more robust features that include the early alert features for instructors in providing earlier feedback on student performance in their courses and for advisors to have access to view these alerts for intervention strategies.      


The specific office location of your advisor or main office for your major.  If you are undeclared or transitioning between majors, visit the University Advising Center at 2200 Colvard.

You must check that information on your My UNC Charlotte account.  Your assigned advisor(s) will be listed in Niner Advisor.  You can also follow the steps below.  If no name is listed, then contact your major department and request an advisor.  If you have not yet declared a major, contact the University Advising Center.

  1. Log in to My UNC Charlotte

  2. Click on Starfish”

  3. Advisors are listed under "My Success Network"