Academic Policies

Academic Standing

An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 is placed on academic probation.  This status is noted on the student's permanent academic record with the semester of the evaluation, and continues until the next evaluation opportunity.

An undergraduate student on academic probation whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the next evaluation is suspended from the University, unless the student’s GPA for that semester is at least 2.3, in which case the student remains on probation instead.  Academic suspension is noted on the student’s permanent academic record.

Newly admitted undergraduate students begin in good academic standing. Each student's academic standing is evaluated at the end of every Fall or Spring semester for which the student was enrolled, based on hours attempted at UNC Charlotte only. To remain in good academic standing, undergraduate students must maintain: (1) a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 and (2) a cumulative ratio of earned to attempted credit hours of at least two-thirds.  However, some departments and Colleges will have additional policies regarding satisfactory progression which require a higher GPA and/or the completion of specific courses in order to remain enrolled in that program. For specifics, see your College or major department in the Undergraduate Catalog.  Failure to earn certain credit hours and/or grade point averages can cause a student to lose financial aid eligibility.  Therefore, students receiving or requesting Financial Aid should familiarize themselves with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

An undergraduate student who meets the cumulative requirements for good academic standing but performs below a 2.0 GPA in the semester of the evaluation or performs below the two-thirds cumulative ratio of earned to attempted hours is given a “good academic standing warning.”  This indicates potential academic problems and is communicated to the student and to the student’s advisor and major department(s).  Students on "good academic standing warning" do not meet the financial aid requirements for satisfactory academic progress.  Good academic standing warnings do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record, and the transcript notation will reflect "good academic standing."

Codes of Conduct

Registration and Courses

During an academic session, from advance registration in the previous semester to final exams, you assume academic and financial responsibility for the courses in which you enroll. You must register successfully by the designated date in order to receive credit for the course in which you are enrolled, and you are relieved of these responsibilities only by formally terminating enrollment by dropping or withdrawing from those courses. For a schedule of deadlines concerning registration please consult the Academic Calendar; for information on how to register, please consult the Office of the Registrar's Questions on Registration.

The Add/Drop period runs through the sixth business day of the Fall and Spring semesters (the second business day for the first and second Summer sessions). 

During the Add/Drop Period, students can:

  • Register for courses.

  • Drop a course(s) without record (and remain enrolled in other courses).

  • Drop all courses without record.

  • Change the grade type to Audit or Pass/No Credit (refer to Auditing a Course and Pass/No Credit Option sections).

  • Elect to retake a course with Grade Replacement (refer to Repeating Courses section).

After the Add/Drop Period students can withdraw from one or more courses in accordance with the Withdrawals policy.

A course grade assigned in a manner consistent with University policy can be changed only by the instructor. Procedures for addressing concerns about a grade can be found under the Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades.

Final Exam schedules are published each semester. Students having three examinations in one day will be allowed to reschedule the middle examination by obtaining a memorandum from the Office of the Registrar to take to faculty members for verification of exam conflicts. (Note: Upon agreement of the student and another instructor, a different exam may be rescheduled.)  Refer to the Final Examinations Policy for more details.

Students may receive credit for a course one time only, unless the course description specifies that it “may be repeated for credit.”  However, students can repeat a course to improve their GPA under two different sets of conditions.  In the first case, within the limits specified in the next section, students may replace a grade.  This process is called “With Grade Replacement.”  In the second case, a student may repeat a course with the new grade averaging in with all others for this same course.  This is specified in the second section below as “Without Grade Replacement.”

With Grade Replacement

Undergraduate students may replace up to two (2) courses (maximum of 8 credit hours) for grade replacement.  Both grades will be reflected on the transcript.  However, the higher of the two grades will be used in calculation of the GPA.  This policy applies to courses first taken in Fall 2007 and thereafter. [Note: Some courses in the College of Health and Human Services may not allow grade replacement.]  All courses for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F may be assigned are eligible for grade replacement under this policy.  The course to be replaced and the repeat course must have their grades assigned by UNC Charlotte.

Students must submit a completed “Grade Replacement” online form through Banner Self-Service by the last day to Add/Drop a course with no record in the semester or summer session in which the course is to be repeated.  A repeated course may not be selected retroactively to use this grade replacement policy.  In courses for which the final grade assigned was a D or F, the student may submit the “Grade Replacement” online form requiring no further approval, providing it is within the course and hour limits specified in this policy. In courses for which the final grade assigned was a C or above, the student must submit the online form that will be routed electronically to obtain approval of the department chair and the dean of the college of the student’s program or major, and remain within the two-course, eight-hour limitations of this policy. Once a student has filed a “Grade Replacement” form for a course that choice cannot be revoked due to withdrawing from the course or from the University. (Medical or special circumstances may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.) The original course grade will be the grade of record for the course and not a W. Any such withdrawal still consumes one of the two course substitutions permitted under this policy. Students enrolled in special topics courses for a grade replacement must enroll in the same topic for which they originally received the grade to be replaced. A grade received owing to an admitted or adjudicated academic dishonesty violation shall not be replaced if the course is repeated. This exception is not subject to appeal or academic petition.

Without Grade Replacement

In all courses which are not identified as being repeatable for additional credits, a student who has received a grade of C, H, P, or above in a course may repeat that course only with prior approval of the student’s advisor, department chair, and dean. Students seek approval by completing an “Academic Petition” form found on the Office of the Registrar's website or via Banner Self Service.  An undergraduate student who received a D, F, or U in a course may repeat a course without seeking outside approval.  All grades for repeated courses will be shown on the student’s official transcript and be used in the calculation of the grade point average.  For prerequisite purposes, the most recent grade will be used whether or not it is the highest.

Faculty are asked to report midterm grades for undergraduate students earning a "D" or "F" and graduate students earning a "C" or "U." Subsequently, the Office of the Registrar sends an email to students with a link to My UNC Charlotte asking them to check reported midterm grades. Be sure not to rely solely on this process, as there may be reason a faculty member is unable to submit grades. Learn about your academic progress and status by speaking with your faculty members early in the semester.

Holds in the registration system, sometimes referred to as "flags," restrict you from registering for classes. You may have a hold on your account for a variety of reasons. Academic holds are placed by a program, department, or college if, for example, you are required to see an advisor or need departmental approval to register for a course. Financial holds are placed if you have an outstanding fee that must be paid. You can check for registration holds using Banner Self-Service.